Thank you for your interest in the Children’s Day School middle school program (grades 5-8). You can learn more about our middle school curriculum here.
Unlike some schools, CDS does not add additional sections in middle school, so enrollment in grades 5-8 depends on available space. At this time, we anticipate having the following spaces for new students:
- 5th grade: 3-5 spaces
- 6th grade: 3-5 spaces
- 7th grade: 2-4 spaces
- 8th grade: 1-2 spaces
We will have a better sense of availability after re-enrollment of current students is completed in February. We encourage all families to apply if they are interested in enrollment in grades 5-8.
To apply for admission to middle school (grades 5-8) for the 2022-2023 school year, complete the steps outlined below.
Grades 5-8 Admission Policies and Procedures
CDS is committed to providing full and equal enjoyment of its services, facilities, privileges, and advantages to individuals with disabilities. Applicants and their family members who require reasonable accommodations to participate in the admission process should contact the Enrollment Management Office.
1. Children's Day School uses an online platform, Ravenna-Hub, for all steps of our admission process. You can complete a Ravenna inquiry form here.
2. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, we unfortunately cannot host in-person tours during school hours on campus. However, we have created a virtual tour and enrollment showcase to give you a sense of our campus and to share our learning beliefs. We will also have in-person Saturday open houses for any adults who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 which you can register for on Ravenna-Hub.
In addition, we invite prospective parents/guardians to attend an optional Zoom information session with our Head of School, Shelly Luke Wille, our Middle School Director, Chris Wachsmith, and current CDS parents/guardians. Should the current situation change so that we are able to offer campus tours, we will update our website with tour dates. You may register for a Zoom information session here.
3. Submit a completed application with a family photo and a $100 application fee. Children’s Day School uses Ravenna-Hub for all steps of our admission process, including our application. You may apply to CDS online here; click on “Create an account” to get started or “Log in” if you have an existing Ravenna-Hub account. Application through Ravenna-Hub is strongly preferred; however, paper applications may be downloaded via the link below or are mailed upon request. The application deadline for grades 5-8 is Wednesday, January 12, 2022.
4. Two of your child's teachers should submit student evaluation forms to CDS through Ravenna-Hub (preferred) no later than Wednesday, January 12, 2022.
5. Submit the Request for School Records form to the Registrar at your child's current school after November 1; your child's current school registrar needs to send the records directly to CDS no later than Wednesday, January 12, 2022. The records may be mailed to CDS, emailed to Erin McHale, or faxed to (415) 861-5419.
6. The Enrollment Management Office will reach out to you to schedule an assessment for your child. We are working on creating an assessment that can be completed at home, either independently or as part of a Zoom call, but may switch to in-person assessments if health and safety regulations permit.
7. A parent/guardian interview is not a required part of the admission process for grades 5-8. The Enrollment Management Office will contact you if a parent/guardian interview is requested by the school.
8. Admission decisions will be emailed on Thursday, March 17, 2022. We craft each class looking for a balance in ages as well as socioeconomic, racial, cultural, and family diversity. Families who choose to accept an enrollment offer must return the enrollment agreement with a nonrefundable deposit of 10% of tuition by 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, March 24, 2022. When there are more qualified candidates than openings available, the school establishes an unranked waiting pool. When an opening occurs, the school decides to which student to offer a space based upon the overall profile of the class and the match with the child and the family.
9. Late Applicants: If you are interested in applying for grades 5-8 after the January 12 application deadline has passed, please contact Kristina Berman, Director of Enrollment Management, at (415) 861-5432 x337. Families submitting applications after the January 12 deadline will be considered with wait pool candidates as openings arise after the first round of admission decisions on March 17, 2022.
For more information, please contact Kristina Berman, Director of Enrollment Management, at (415) 861-5432 x337.
Children’s Day School admits students of any race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, financial aid program, athletic and other school-administered programs.