Kindergarten Language Arts
What we do:
- Develop concepts of print, phonemic awareness, phonics, and knowledge of story language
- Practice early reading strategies: using picture clues, beginning sounds, and patterns
- Attend to characters, setting, and plot
- Play with rhyme and rhythm
- Approximate writing by drawing and labeling
- Use invented spelling
How we do it:
- Reading Workshop:
- In kindergarten, students begin to establish their identities as readers while they build the foundational skills for reading during a daily Reading Workshop that includes interactive read-alouds, shared reading of poems and songs, and daily reading time. We match students to “just right” books and provide “just right” instruction in small groups with a teacher to help individual students build these skills and their confidence with them. Students explore a variety of genres (e.g. classic tales, information books) and topics/themes (e.g. pumpkins, friendship) that connect with the social studies and scientific inquiries taking place in their classrooms.
- Writing Workshop:
- Students self-select writing topics and engage in the writing process. They are supported with a balance of whole-group, small-group, and one-to-one instruction that allows each individual student to become a more competent writer. Specific genres, skills and strategies are taught in accordance with grade level benchmarks. Students learn to use writing as a meaningful and powerful tool to communicate and express their ideas and opinions.
- Phonics, Spelling, & Word Study:
- Students begin the year with a study of the alphabet. Children are introduced to each letter of the alphabet, its shape, and the sounds it makes through stories that bring each letter to life. During daily language activities that include shared reading, shared writing, and word study activities, students develop their phonological awareness, early literacy concepts, letter and sound knowledge, and understanding of how words work.
- Letter formation is introduced and practiced using the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum.