The CDS Learner Profile
CDS graduates know how to:
- be just and courageous
- share kindness and joy
- stay grounded in the natural world
- be an active learner/inquirer
- embrace difference
- impact community
They accomplish this by activating the CDS core skills and dispositions that are introduced, developed, and woven throughout the CDS curriculum and learning experience.
Learners develop proficiency with these 5 core skills:
- Collaboration - I know how to contribute my strengths to a team to achieve a goal and how to lean on and learn from others on the team who bring different perspectives and strengths to the work.
- Self-Direction - I know how to manage my time and seek out the resources I need to drive my own learning with independence and agency.
- Communication - I know how to share my ideas, identities, thoughts, and opinions while respecting and remaining curious and open to the ideas, identities, thoughts, and opinions of others.
- Researching and Inquiring - I know how to use technology, media, and information responsibly to explore, teach, and learn about topics that interest me.
- Critical and Creative Thinking - I know how to think about a topic from different perspectives and can think creatively to solve problems and express myself.
Core Dispositions - Learners practice engaging these 5 core mindsets:
- Curiosity and Open-Mindedness - I am curious and open to different ideas and perspectives. I keep an open mind and actively look to make meaning and create connections.
- Resilience and Persistence - I am comfortable making mistakes and willing to engage in productive struggle to achieve my learning goals
- Emotional / Social Intelligence - I am engaged in my community. I seek to manage my emotions and pay attention to what and who is around me, so that I can show up wisely in my relationships with others.
- Intellectual / Cultural Humility, Reflection, and Responsiveness - I know that my perspective is one of many and I am able to consider and incorporate the ideas, identities, and beliefs of others into my own thinking to broaden my worldview and build new understandings.
- Advocacy/Activism/Civic Engagement - I engage actively in my community and the world and recognize, stand up, and act when injustice is present.