Thank you for your interest in the Children’s Day School transitional kindergarten. Designed as the first year of a two-year kindergarten program, TK bridges preschool and kindergarten, blending approaches preschool teachers use with those kindergarten teachers use so that children on the cusp enter kindergarten with greater maturity, confidence, and skills, and are ready for the demands of kindergarten. Children who just miss the cut-off will benefit from a year of TK programming, and those children who just make the cut-off but aren't quite ready for kindergarten will also benefit from a TK program that movies beyond the preschool classroom in preparation for kindergarten. You can learn more about our TK curriculum here.
We anticipate enrolling approximately 5-7 transitional kindergarten students new to CDS for the 2021-2022 school year. Children turning 5 between May 1 and November 30, 2021 are age-eligible for the CDS TK program.
To apply for admission to transitional kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year, complete the steps outlined below.
Transitional Kindergarten Admission Policies and Procedures
CDS is committed to providing full and equal enjoyment of its services, facilities, privileges, and advantages to individuals with disabilities. Applicants and their family members who require reasonable accommodations to participate in the admission process should contact the Enrollment Management Office.
1. Children's Day School uses an online platform, Ravenna-Hub, for all steps of our admission process. You can complete a Ravenna inquiry form here.
2. Due to the current coronavirus pandemic, we unfortunately cannot host in-person tours of our school. However, we have created a virtual tour (password: cdstour2020) to give you a sense of our campus and to share our learning beliefs.
In addition, we invite prospective parents/guardians to attend an optional Zoom information session with our Head of School, Shelly Luke Wille, our Early Childhood Program Director, Antonette Greene, and current CDS parents/guardians. Should the current situation change so that we are able to offer campus tours, we will update our website with tour dates. You may register for a Zoom information session here.
3. Submit a completed application with a family photo and a $100 application fee. The application deadline for transitional kindergarten is Wednesday, January 13, 2021. You may apply to CDS online through Ravenna-Hub here; click on “Create an account” to get started or “Log in” if you have an existing Ravenna-Hub account. Application through Ravenna-Hub is strongly preferred; however, paper applications may be downloaded via the link below or are mailed upon request.
4. If your child is enrolled in a school that your child attends regularly, your child's teacher should submit a student evaluation form to CDS through Ravenna-Hub (preferred) no later than Wednesday, January 13, 2021. Alternatively, you can download the student evaluation form via the link below, print it, and give it to your child's teacher to complete and return to CDS no later than Wednesday, January 13, 2021. The form may be mailed to CDS, emailed to Kristina Berman, or faxed to (415) 861-5419.
5. After your application is complete, the Enrollment Management Office will schedule a time for an admission representative to meet with you. At this point our plan is to schedule Zoom conversations during January and February with prospective parents/guardians, but this may change to in-person conversations if health and safety regulations permit. We will reach out to you either way. Admission representatives can include the admission office staff, other administrators, and faculty. All admission representatives have an equal voice in the admission process. It is not to your advantage to talk with one representative versus another, and we do not take requests to talk with a specific admission representative.
6. Children’s Day School is anticipating using video assessments for prospective transitional kindergarten applicants. Once you have applied, we will notify you when the video assessments are available and will provide instructions on how to complete the assessments.
7. Admission decisions will be emailed on Thursday, March 18, 2021. We craft each class looking for a balance in gender as well as socioeconomic, racial, cultural, and family diversity. Families who choose to accept an enrollment offer must complete the enrollment agreement with a nonrefundable deposit of 10% of tuition by 10:00 a.m. on Thursday,
8. Late Applicants: If you are interested in applying for transitional kindergarten after the January 13 application deadline has passed, please contact Kristina Berman, Assistant Director of Enrollment Management, at (415) 861-5432 x337. Families submitting applications after the January 13 deadline will be considered with wait pool candidates as openings arise after the first round of admission decisions on March 18, 2021.
For more information, please contact Diane Larrabee, Director of Enrollment Management, at (415) 861-5432 x322.
Children’s Day School admits students of any race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, financial aid program, athletic and other school-administered programs.