Thank you for your interest in the Children’s Day School transitional kindergarten. Designed as the first year of a two-year kindergarten program, TK bridges preschool and kindergarten, blending approaches preschool teachers use with those kindergarten teachers use so that children on the cusp enter kindergarten with greater maturity, confidence, and skills, and are ready for the demands of kindergarten. Children who just miss the cut-off will benefit from a year of TK programming, and those children who just make the cut-off but aren't quite ready for kindergarten will also benefit from a TK program that movies beyond the preschool classroom in preparation for kindergarten. You can learn more about our TK curriculum here.
We anticipate enrolling approximately 5-7 transitional kindergarten students new to CDS for the 2020-2021 school year. Children turning 5 between January 1 and October 31, 2020 are age-eligible for the CDS TK program.
To apply for admission to transitional kindergarten for the 2020-2021 school year, complete the steps outlined below.
Transitional Kindergarten Admission Policies and Procedures
CDS is committed to providing full and equal enjoyment of its services, facilities, privileges, and advantages to individuals with disabilities. Applicants and their family members who require reasonable accommodations to participate in the admission process should contact the Enrollment Management Office.
2. Submit a completed application with a family photo and a $100 application fee. The application deadline for transitional kindergarten is Monday, January 6, 2020. Children’s Day School uses an online admission platform, Ravenna-Hub, for all steps of our admission process, including our application. You may apply to CDS online here; click on “Create an account” to get started or “Log in” if you have an existing Ravenna-Hub account. Application through Ravenna-Hub is strongly preferred; however, paper applications may be downloaded via the link below or are mailed upon request.
3. If your child is enrolled in a school that your child attends regularly, your child's teacher should submit a student evaluation form to CDS through Ravenna-Hub (preferred) no later than Monday, January 6, 2020. Alternatively, you can download the student evaluation form via the link below, print it, and give it to your child's teacher to complete and return to CDS no later than Monday, January 6, 2020. The form may be mailed to CDS, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or faxed to (415) 861-5419.
4. After you have applied, you will be able to sign up online through Ravenna-Hub to schedule a student visit and a separate parent/guardian conversation with a member of the CDS admission team.
- Prospective transitional kindergartners will visit our TK classroom for 45 minutes on Saturday, January 25, 2020.
- The separate parent/guardian conversation is with an admission representative, which can include the enrollment management office staff, other administrators, and faculty. All admission representatives have an equal voice in the admission process. It is not to your advantage to talk with one representative versus another, and we do not take requests to talk with a specific CDS representative. Parent/guardian conversations are scheduled during January and February 2020.
5. Admission decisions will be emailed on Thursday, March 19, 2020. We craft each class looking for a balance in gender as well as socioeconomic, racial, cultural, and family diversity. Families who choose to accept an enrollment offer must complete the enrollment agreement with a nonrefundable deposit of 10% of tuition by 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, March 26, 2020. When there are more qualified candidates than openings available, the school establishes an unranked waiting pool. When an opening occurs, the school decides to which student to offer a space based upon the overall profile of the class and the match with the child and the family.
6. Late Applicants: If you are interested in applying for transitional kindergarten after the January 6 application deadline has passed, please contact Diane Larrabee, Director of Enrollment Management, at (415) 861-5432 x322. Families submitting applications after the January 6 deadline will be considered with wait pool candidates as openings arise after the first round of admission decisions on March 19, 2020.
For more information, please contact Diane Larrabee, Director of Enrollment Management, at (415) 861-5432 x322.
Children’s Day School admits students of any race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, financial aid program, athletic and other school-administered programs.