8th Grade Language Arts
What we do:
- Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
- Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas, concepts, and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
- Gather relevant information from multiple authoritative print and digital sources, using advanced searches effectively; assess the usefulness of each source in answering the research question; integrate information into the text selectively to maintain the flow of ideas following a standard format for citation.
- Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
- Recent class novel selections have included The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Between the World and Me, and Fahrenheit 451.
How we do it:
- Shared and independent reading
- Class discussions
- Grammar and vocabulary lessons
- Multimedia presentations
- Essay writing, note taking
- Write and research argumentative research papers