5th Grade Social Studies
What we do:
- Investigations into United States history, with a focus on three essential questions:
- How have groups of people organized and fought for their civil rights over the course of U.S. history?
- How do struggles for civil rights in the past relate to present-day United States?
- How have activists and civil rights movements shaped the United States?
- Possible topics include colonial-indigenous relations, the colonial era, Revolutionary War, Civil War & Reconstruction, the Progressive Era, the struggle for civil rights
How we do it:
- Multi-paragraph writing projects
- Whole class and small group discussions
- Multimedia projects and presentations
- Reading from various primary and secondary sources
- Individual reflection, research, and writing
- Collaborative projects and activities