3rd Grade Social Studies
What we do:
We explore varied perspectives, cultures, power dynamics, and histories as they relate to the history of San Francisco and the people who have lived here, including the Ohlone, the Mission and Rancho communities, Pioneers, and Gold Rushers. Each unit is framed around four overarching questions:
- How do the beliefs and values of a group of people inform their actions?
- What happens when two or more cultures meet?
- Who has power and how is it attained and kept?
- How am I connected to people in the past, and how have past actions influenced life today?
How we do it:
- Read-alouds and independent reading
- Visual thinking strategies
- Field trips and expert visitors
- Reading and writing journals