2nd Grade Language Arts
What we do:
- Word solving and vocabulary development
- Compare and contrast information across texts
- Build fluency and comprehension skills
- Study the ways authors use word choice, figurative language, punctuation, and patterns to construct meaning and evoke feelings in readers
- Stretch out small moments and write with detail
- Gather evidence from texts to craft persuasive arguments
- Use line breaks, rhythm, and figurative speech to write more clearly and powerfully
How we do it:
- Reading Workshop:
- Students are guided to self-select reading materials that are at their independent reading level and are supported with a balance of whole-group, small-group and individualized instruction to progress to the next level. Students are exposed to a variety of genres, comprehension strategies and decoding skills and are immersed in a culture of reading and talking about books that fosters the habits of a lifelong reader.
- Writing Workshop:
- Students self-select writing topics and engage in the writing process. They are supported with a balance of whole-group, small-group and one-to-one instruction that allows each individual student to become a more competent writer. Specific genres, skills, and strategies are taught in accordance with grade level benchmarks. Students learn to use writing as a meaningful and powerful tool to communicate and express their ideas and opinions.
- Phonics, Spelling, & Word Study:
- Spelling Connections is a comprehensive spelling curriculum that provides complete, explicit, differentiated instruction that allows students to retain, internalize, and transfer valuable spelling knowledge for improved results in all areas of literacy.
- Letter formation is reviewed and practiced using the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum.